It’s the dream of many. To retire to the shed, knock out a DIY synth and watch the world change in its wake. Generously, Sean Luke of George Mason University has authored a set of lecture notes that explains what goes into the build of a soft synth.
Aside from the technical aspects the note range from a brief history of synthesis, components, with good helping of maths.
If you’re keen on developing your own soft synth, here’s a good place to start. A college professor has generously shared his notes on building computer based synthesizers.
Sean Luke teaches an undergrad computer science course, so while it might not be a whole step-by-step guide to a complete build, it will be very illuminating, especially for those who have a background in programming.
For the rest of us mere mortals, there is a primer on the history of synthesis, additive and subtractive synthesis, modulation tools like LFOs, sequencers and so forth.
Being a computer science course, it addresses the all important digitisation of signal, an essential for building a computer based synth. Mathematically, it’s not for the faint of heart.
And in the spirit of egalitarianism, it is a free download. Visit the Computational Music Synthesis website for all the details.
- Play a Modular Synth in Virtual Reality With ‘Synthmulator’ The crazy world of virtual reality, a place where you can live out your wildest dreams, taking on extreme sports, exploring the world and now... tinkering with a modular synthesiser. […]
- Rhythmic Revolutions, Synths, Sequencers & Pedals: The Astounding Legacy of Roland Founder Ikutaro Kakehashi Passing away this April, Japanese audio pioneer Ikutaro Kakehashi left behind him a staggering legacy of classic musical inventions and technological advancements. The man behind Roland […]
- NPR Releases Step by Step Handbook for Mixing Audio Stories Rob Byers of America's NPR has recently authored the Producer's Handbook to Mixing Audio Stories. It's a step by step guide for mixing sound sources, with a helpful glossary of technical […]
- Audio-Technica Set the Wireless Benchmark With New ATH-S200BT Headphones Audio-Technica have just launched their brand new ATH-S200BT on-ear wireless headphones.
Audio-Technica are nothing less than pioneers in the field of sound tech, creating benchmark […]
- Watch DAE’s Mind Blowing Video Tribute to Pro Tools Yep, many of the world's engineers, producers and music makers in the digital era have spent countless hours glued to the Pro Tools edit screen. But has it ever been used this […]
- Monitors for the Masses: Mackie MR Series Loudspeakers Studio and live gear mainstays Mackie have announced the MR series of powered monitors.
Mackie's new range of monitors has something for everyone: from intimate nearfields to […]