While British luthier Dean Fraser was in the military, he was issued matchsticks as part of his ration pack. Accumulate enough of these over 18 years (around 40,000 apparently), and you’ve got the materials to build an amazing Strat-style guitar.
Body, neck, knobs, even the jack socket: all made from matchsticks. British luthier Dean Fraser has manufactured a Fender Stratocaster style electric guitar with a humble material and endless patience.
Intriguingly, from a distance, the guitar presents as relatively normal, albeit with an ornate parquetry pattern. It’s only when you zoom in that it reveals itself to be stunning piece of craftsmanship.
We’ve seen instruments created from everyday items before, but rarely has such sustained discipline been applied to creation of a single instrument.
Head over to Fraser Guitars for more information.
- Make Your Ears Bleed With This 38 Fret Soprano Guitar
Kevin from Said Too Much Productions has created a fretboard extension that takes his guitar into soprano territory. Let's just say the results may make your ears bleed.
- Animal Sex and Psychoacoustics: The Origins of 5 Iconic Film, TV and Video Game Sounds and Soundtracks If your housemates dislike you because you scream-sing the intro to every episode of your favourite series, or you find yourself wincing at the squelch of someone being slowly shanked by a […]
- Engineering the Sound: Red Hot Chili Peppers’ ‘Blood Sugar Sex Magik’ Founded in 1983, Red Hot Chili Peppers’ original line-up featured vocalist Anthony Kiedis, bassist Flea, drummer Jack Irons and guitarist Hillel Slovak and was heavily centred on frat-rock […]
- Negotiating the Delicate Art of Drum Miking Among sound engineers, musicians and almost everyone involved in the music production business, the quest for the right drum sound has taken on mythic status. Why? Well, many factors are […]
- Shergold Launches Provocateur Single-Cutaway Electric Historic UK guitar brand, Shergold, has just revealed the Provocateur single-cutaway electric. It marks the second installment of the modern reinvention of the brand, designed in the UK by […]
- Engineering the Sound: The Beatles’ ‘Abbey Road’ From the oft-imitated zebra crossing cover to the beloved b-side medley, Abbey Road remains one of the most beloved and critically lauded albums by The Beatles.
Since the death of the […]