Acustica Audio has unveiled the Ultramarine 4 plugin suite. Its inspiration is the Fairchild 670 – the compressor that spawned any number of tributes. It also adds two EQs, a reverb and a channel strip too.
The Ultramarine 4 offers up high quality Fairchild compression. Also thrown into the mix are two EQs, a reverb and a channel strip for good measure.
The Fairchild needs little introduction. It’s pedigree was established in the 1950s and continues to be one of the most sought after pieces of compression hardware in the audio world today.
The EQ section, however, shines a light on some lesser known vintage designs. The A-27 is based on variable tube architecture from ’60s era components, featuring a completely different electronic implementation from other units of the time.
The other EQ, labelled the A-64 is based on a passive circuit. It has only two correction bands available, but the focus here is definitely on musicality, rather than precision.
The A-58 reverb uses six electromechanical delay lines, which are tuned differently to produce an extremely smooth and warm sounding ambience.
For more info on this plugin suite, visit Acustica Audio.
- The Empirical Labs Distressor: A Modern Master of Dynamics The classic image of the studio involves bar-fridge sized racks, crammed with outboard gear, with the expensive front panels looking up to greet you, inviting you to patch them in. There's […]
- UK Sound Launches the 276 Dual-Channel Compressor UK Sound, a subsidiary of BAE, has launched the 276 dual-channel mono compressor. If you haven't guessed by the name, it's inspired by one of the giants of the art.
The 276 […]
- Keeley Reveals the Aria Overdrive and Compression Stompbox American boutique pedalmakers Keeley Electronics, have just launched the Aria effects pedal. It combines all the squash, sustain and grit you'll need for the front end of your guitar […]
- The Retro Revolver Dual-Channel Tube Compressor Unlocks the Magic of the Beatles Era The Retro Revolver from Retro Instruments is a dual-channel tube based compressor is a modern take on the EMI modded Altec 436 compressor (then rechristened the RS124), which was made […]
- UAD 9.4 has been Released Alongside the Legendary EL8 Distressor Universal Audio have released version 9.4 of the celebrated UAD software for Apollo interfaces. They've also teamed up with Empirical Labs to deliver their emulation of the fabled EL8 […]
- FG-Stress by Slate Digital Brings a Hardware Classic to Your DAW The FG-Stress compressor plugin by Slate Digital gives DAW users access to the tonal quality of one of the most coveted pieces of studio hardware, the Empirical Labs […]