When Gibson made a threatening video directed at rival guitar brands, only to pull it soon afterwards, you’d be forgiven for thinking that it was just a momentary overload of testosterone – certainly not a precursor to a lawsuit.
But they’ve actually walked the talk, taking action against Armadillo Enterprises, the parent company of Dean Guitars. They’re alleging trademark infringement, trademark counterfeit and other offences.
It’s gettin’ nasty. Despite pulling a misguided video threatening rival brands, Gibson have filed a lawsuit against the parent company of Dean Guitars, citing trademark infringement.
Chief among the violations that Gibson alleges include the body shapes of the Flying V, Explorer, ES and SG, as well as the famous “Dove Wing” headstock.
Gibson is seeking damages that would be detrimental to Armadillo’ profits, damages sustained by Gibson itself, as well as the cost of the action.
Since being founded by luthier Dean Zelinsky in 1977, the brand has been no small fry in the guitar landscape. They’ve made quite a mark with their takes on the Explorer and the Flying V. Tending toward the heavier end of the rock scale, they’ve been favoured by players such as Dimebag Darrell of Pantera.
Dean V (left) and Gibson Flying V – via Guitar.com
Stay tuned for more updates. And if you have your own Gibson lookalike in the works, you might want to hold off on that for now.
- Gibson’s partnership with Universal Music China: what it means for the guitar giant Gibson has had a rocky recent past, to say the least. But a new business venture could see that change rapidly thanks to China's music industry.
Guitar manufacturing titan Gibson has […]
- Gibson Encourages Players to Report Fake Guitars Gibson is hot on copyright infringement at the moment, threatening to sue guitar builders making counterfeit versions of their products.
In the latest development, there is now a form […]
- Gibson Pulls Video Threatening Rival Brands After Uproar To call the last couple of years for Gibson a rollercoaster is an understatement. Last year, they stared down the threat of bankruptcy, then kicked off 2019 with a host of new releases, […]
- Inside The Songbirds Guitar Museum’s Phenomenal Guitar Collection Over the weekend, Songbirds Guitar Museum opened its doors for the first time, and with it, opened to the public the biggest collection of vintage guitars in the world.
Take a first […]
- Finalizer Is The New Mastering App From TC Electronic Finalizer is the new app that will help you to become your own mastering engineer. TC electronic have introduced the all-in-one mastering app that puts the compression, limiter and EQ […]
- Audio Technica Release the Limited Edition ATH-M50xRD Audio-Technica have just released a limited edition red coloured version of the studio staple, ATH-M50x headphones.
The Audio-Technica ATH-M50xRD headphones combine pro-level […]