It’s the hard truth you never wanted to hear, the dirty little secret you’ve known in your heart your entire life. Yes, there is such a thing as too many toys.
A new study published in volume 50 of Infant Behavior and Development, a scientific journal based out of the University of Toledo, has linked an abundance of stimuli to a reduced ‘quality of play’.
The study was conducted on toddlers, to be fair. But that doesn’t mean we can’t learn any life lessons.
How many musical toys are too many? If we can learn anything from these set of groundbreaking toddlers, it’s that less really is more.
The study provided a set of 36 toddlers with two environments; four items and sixteen items to play with. The findings were as follows:
- An abundance of toys present reduced quality of toddlers’ play.
- Fewer toys at once may help toddlers to focus better and play more creatively.
- This can done in many settings to support development and promote healthy play.
If you’ve ever felt spoiled by the sheer volume of gear stacked up in your studio, consider limiting yourself. Like these especially intuitive toddlers, you may feel like you’re finally engaging in some healthier play.
Via Science Direct.
- Ibanez Announces Two New Tube Screamer Pedals The Ibanez Tube Screamer has been the last word in overdrive for decades. To celebrate its 40th birthday, two new versions of the pedal are emerging. One, a limited edition ruby red remake […]
- BOSS Announce Special Ltd Edition 40th Anniversary Reissue of Their 3 Original Compact Pedals BOSS are celebrating 40 years at the top of the game of innovative stompbox technology with a limited edition reissue of its first line of compact pedals: the OD–1 Overdrive, PH–1 Phaser, […]
- Exploring the Moog 104M Analog Delay The Moogerfooger series of effects pedals have been a boon to studio and live performance aficionados. The sound (it’s Moog) is incredible, but that’s not the whole story with these […]
- Take Your Recording Session to the Park with Roland’s New Go Mixer Pro Roland has raised the bar with smart phone friendly mixing, with the release of the Go Mixer Pro.
Bring the Studio with you, Roland's new Go Mixer Pro gives you the ability to mix […]
- Sir George Martin’s Iconic AIR Studios is Up for Sale AIR Studios - the legendary London recording space that was the brainchild of Beatles producer, George Martin, is up for sale. But with around £3 million worth of recording equipment […]
- Ableton Rolls Out Huge Suite of Live 10 Tutorial Videos Ableton Live 10 rolled out a few months ago, an update many were hailing as the DAW's biggest ever. It included an entire suite of quality-of-life changes, some shiny new hacks, and a […]