It’s the hard truth you never wanted to hear, the dirty little secret you’ve known in your heart your entire life. Yes, there is such a thing as too many toys.
A new study published in volume 50 of Infant Behavior and Development, a scientific journal based out of the University of Toledo, has linked an abundance of stimuli to a reduced ‘quality of play’.
The study was conducted on toddlers, to be fair. But that doesn’t mean we can’t learn any life lessons.
How many musical toys are too many? If we can learn anything from these set of groundbreaking toddlers, it’s that less really is more.
The study provided a set of 36 toddlers with two environments; four items and sixteen items to play with. The findings were as follows:
- An abundance of toys present reduced quality of toddlers’ play.
- Fewer toys at once may help toddlers to focus better and play more creatively.
- This can done in many settings to support development and promote healthy play.
If you’ve ever felt spoiled by the sheer volume of gear stacked up in your studio, consider limiting yourself. Like these especially intuitive toddlers, you may feel like you’re finally engaging in some healthier play.
Via Science Direct.
- Exploring the Moog 104M Analog Delay The Moogerfooger series of effects pedals have been a boon to studio and live performance aficionados. The sound (it’s Moog) is incredible, but that’s not the whole story with these […]
- Ibanez Announces Two New Tube Screamer Pedals The Ibanez Tube Screamer has been the last word in overdrive for decades. To celebrate its 40th birthday, two new versions of the pedal are emerging. One, a limited edition ruby red remake […]
- BOSS Announce Special Ltd Edition 40th Anniversary Reissue of Their 3 Original Compact Pedals BOSS are celebrating 40 years at the top of the game of innovative stompbox technology with a limited edition reissue of its first line of compact pedals: the OD–1 Overdrive, PH–1 Phaser, […]
- Know Your Maker: 5 Albums Recorded Exclusively On Korg Synths A recent study proved that playing with fewer toys led to improved focus and heightened creativity. Admittedly, that study was conducted on toddlers, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't […]
- Engineering the Sound: Wu-Tang Clan’s ‘Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)’ With the golden age of hip-hop in full swing, 1993 saw the release of three landmark albums in the thriving genre. West-Coast hip-hop was dominating the airwaves and G-Funk was emerging as […]
- Roland Reveal The D-05, Boutique Reissue Of Their Iconic D-50 Synthesiser Yep, Roland have hit another home run. The most recent release within their Boutique series has been revealed, and it's officially a D-50 rework named the D-05.
Honestly, I'm seconds […]