It’s the hard truth you never wanted to hear, the dirty little secret you’ve known in your heart your entire life. Yes, there is such a thing as too many toys.
A new study published in volume 50 of Infant Behavior and Development, a scientific journal based out of the University of Toledo, has linked an abundance of stimuli to a reduced ‘quality of play’.
The study was conducted on toddlers, to be fair. But that doesn’t mean we can’t learn any life lessons.
How many musical toys are too many? If we can learn anything from these set of groundbreaking toddlers, it’s that less really is more.
The study provided a set of 36 toddlers with two environments; four items and sixteen items to play with. The findings were as follows:
- An abundance of toys present reduced quality of toddlers’ play.
- Fewer toys at once may help toddlers to focus better and play more creatively.
- This can done in many settings to support development and promote healthy play.
If you’ve ever felt spoiled by the sheer volume of gear stacked up in your studio, consider limiting yourself. Like these especially intuitive toddlers, you may feel like you’re finally engaging in some healthier play.
Via Science Direct.
- Ibanez Announces Two New Tube Screamer Pedals The Ibanez Tube Screamer has been the last word in overdrive for decades. To celebrate its 40th birthday, two new versions of the pedal are emerging. One, a limited edition ruby red remake […]
- BOSS Announce Special Ltd Edition 40th Anniversary Reissue of Their 3 Original Compact Pedals BOSS are celebrating 40 years at the top of the game of innovative stompbox technology with a limited edition reissue of its first line of compact pedals: the OD–1 Overdrive, PH–1 Phaser, […]
- Exploring the Moog 104M Analog Delay The Moogerfooger series of effects pedals have been a boon to studio and live performance aficionados. The sound (it’s Moog) is incredible, but that’s not the whole story with these […]
- Check out the 8 best audio interfaces for your home studio in 2021 Whether you're a beginner or a seasoned pro, every music maker needs an audio interface. Here are the best you can get your hands on in 2021.
If you're working with external equipment of […]
- Output Launches Arcade Loop Synth, Which Is Updated Daily Output has unveiled Arcade: a subscription based virtual instrument, which allows you manipulate loops in real time from alternate sonic worlds.
A boon for media composers the […]
- BitMidi is a Treasure Trove of More Than 100k Free Midi Files BitMidi has unleashed a monstrous stash of midi files that encompass chart-toppers, video games OSTs and Disney classics. So if you're looking for your next cover project, or you're just […]