Movie star and guitar aficionado, Russell Crowe, is about to put a range of rare vintage guitars under the hammer. If you’re in Sydney and have decidedly deep pockets, you could get yourself something special.
Need a rare vintage axe? Why not check out Russell Crowe’s collection of classics that is going up for auction at Sotheby’s.
Among the collection that is coming up for sale are various Gretsch models, including a 6192 “Sunburst” from 1965, a limited edition Gibson Elvis Presley acoustic and a 60s Grammer “Johnny Cash” G50.
By far the rarest, and perhaps most interesting item, would be the Martin 2-42 Parlour guitar, which dates back to circa 1870. This piece, that is of genuine historical significance, is expected to fetch between $50,000 and $100,000.
The auction will take place on April 7 at Carriageworks in Sydney. If you can’t actually afford to buy the guitars (fair enough), you can check them out at an exhibition showcasing some of the items at Carriageworks from 4-6 April.
Visit the Sotheby’s website for more details and check out some of the guitars below.
60s Truetone L21 ‘Tobacco Sunburst’ acoustic guitar, inscribed by Les Paul
1965 Sunburst Gretsch 6192
1955 Sunburst Gibson ES-150
- Whacked-Out Delay and The Magic of Orange Tortex Picks: Gear Talk With The Ruminaters The Ruminaters are endlessly flexible with what they can do with two guitars, drums and bass: salt-crusted surf, Yiddish psych, punk-ish throwdowns and 70s soul covers - the Sydney four […]
- The Annasound Element is a Legit Spring Reverb Pedal Yes, it's legit. The Anasound Element is a pedal effect that produces reverb using a spring. No trick chips here. It's a two-part system, with a stompbox that sits on top of the board with […]
- Warbly Fuzz-Drunk Guitars: Pedal Talk With Green Buzzard Space Man Rodeo is the new mini-album from Sydney's Green Buzzard, a fuzz-drunk melange of warbly guitars and 90s guitar-pop melodies. The mastermind behind the music, Paddy Harrowsmith, […]
- Spitfire Audio LABS Officially Launches With FREE Soft Piano and Strings Software Instruments The Spitfire Audio LABS program, announced in March, has officially launched. The software is designed to be easy to use, high quality and at a low cost - in fact, it's free!
- Roland Files Trademarks to Protect 808 and 303 Designs Roland have belatedly sought trademarks to protect its designs of the TB-303 and the TR-808 in Germany. But with Behringer's RD-808 set to hit the shelves soon, the horse may have already […]
- Native Instruments Launch Enormous, Subscription-Based Sample Database Depending on your style, the act of hunting for samples might be your supreme happy place or a pit of despair. The sources to rip samples from are as numerous as the samples themselves, […]