Movie star and guitar aficionado, Russell Crowe, is about to put a range of rare vintage guitars under the hammer. If you’re in Sydney and have decidedly deep pockets, you could get yourself something special.
Need a rare vintage axe? Why not check out Russell Crowe’s collection of classics that is going up for auction at Sotheby’s.
Among the collection that is coming up for sale are various Gretsch models, including a 6192 “Sunburst” from 1965, a limited edition Gibson Elvis Presley acoustic and a 60s Grammer “Johnny Cash” G50.
By far the rarest, and perhaps most interesting item, would be the Martin 2-42 Parlour guitar, which dates back to circa 1870. This piece, that is of genuine historical significance, is expected to fetch between $50,000 and $100,000.
The auction will take place on April 7 at Carriageworks in Sydney. If you can’t actually afford to buy the guitars (fair enough), you can check them out at an exhibition showcasing some of the items at Carriageworks from 4-6 April.
Visit the Sotheby’s website for more details and check out some of the guitars below.
60s Truetone L21 ‘Tobacco Sunburst’ acoustic guitar, inscribed by Les Paul
1965 Sunburst Gretsch 6192
1955 Sunburst Gibson ES-150
- Midnight Oil to Sell Vintage Gear On Their Official Reverb Shop Midnight Oil fans, this is for you. Reverb yesterday announced a new partnership with Global Vintage Guitars in Sydney for the sale of 40 bits of gear used by Midnight Oil over four […]
- More Than 120 of David Gilmour’s Guitars are Going Up for Auction Pink Floyd singer and guitarist, David Gilmour, will be auctioning off more than 120 guitars. The sale includes his famous black Fender Stratocaster, with all proceeds going to […]
- Foo Fighters’ Chris Shiflett Is Auctioning Off His Personal Guitar Collection Longtime lead guitarist of Foo Fighters, Chris Shiflett, has announced that he'll be auctioning off twenty of his own guitars through Reverb.
"I have an excess of guitars that I’ve […]
- Inside The Songbirds Guitar Museum’s Phenomenal Guitar Collection Over the weekend, Songbirds Guitar Museum opened its doors for the first time, and with it, opened to the public the biggest collection of vintage guitars in the world.
Take a first […]
- The Guitar Played by George Harrison at the Beatles’ Last Cavern Club Gig is Up for Sale The guitar played by George Harrison at The Beatles' last ever gig at Cavern Club is set to go under the hammer. It's expected to fetch somewhere £300 - 400,000, which is roughly […]
- Fender Launches the Troublemaker Tele: A Tribute to the Les Paul Fender have just released the latest in their line of Parallel Universe electric guitars - the Troublemaker Tele. Interestingly though, it seems to take its cues from that other guitar […]