Movie star and guitar aficionado, Russell Crowe, is about to put a range of rare vintage guitars under the hammer. If you’re in Sydney and have decidedly deep pockets, you could get yourself something special.
Need a rare vintage axe? Why not check out Russell Crowe’s collection of classics that is going up for auction at Sotheby’s.
Among the collection that is coming up for sale are various Gretsch models, including a 6192 “Sunburst” from 1965, a limited edition Gibson Elvis Presley acoustic and a 60s Grammer “Johnny Cash” G50.
By far the rarest, and perhaps most interesting item, would be the Martin 2-42 Parlour guitar, which dates back to circa 1870. This piece, that is of genuine historical significance, is expected to fetch between $50,000 and $100,000.
The auction will take place on April 7 at Carriageworks in Sydney. If you can’t actually afford to buy the guitars (fair enough), you can check them out at an exhibition showcasing some of the items at Carriageworks from 4-6 April.
Visit the Sotheby’s website for more details and check out some of the guitars below.
60s Truetone L21 ‘Tobacco Sunburst’ acoustic guitar, inscribed by Les Paul
1965 Sunburst Gretsch 6192
1955 Sunburst Gibson ES-150
- Transparent Tone: Joe Bonamassa Unveils See-Through Fender Twin American blues guitarist, Joe Bonamassa has just revealed an almost completely transparent Fender Twin guitar amp made of Lucite.
In the post made on Instagram, the amp is pictured […]
- Electro-Harmonix Launches the Mod Rex Polyrhythmic Modulator Pedal New York stompbox legends Electro-Harmonix has released the Mod Rex Polyrhythmic Modulator pedal. If that sounds like a mouthful, it's because it does a lot of heavy lifting in the […]
- Billionaire Entrepreneur Invests in Auto-Tune, Makes Rap to Honour Dead Gorilla Billionaire entrepreneur that you may have heard of, Elon Musk (Space X, Tesla, Paypal, SolarCity, Neuralink) launched himself into a new technological venture earlier this week, but will […]
- Avant-Garde Composer and Guitarist Glenn Branca Dies at 69 Glenn Branca was a hugely influential experimental composer and guitarist. He died in his sleep after suffering from throat cancer at the age of 69.
Tributes have poured in for […]
- Audioengine launch the powerful and pocket-sized A1 desktop speakers Austin-based speaker manufacturer Audioengine has unveiled the A1 Home Music system, made up of a set of super-compact, Bluetooth desktop speakers.
The A1 is a follow-up to Audioengine's […]
- The Sound of Everything: Empress Reveals the Zoia Pedal Which Allows Infinite Creative Possibilites Since the mid-noughties, Empress Effects have forged a stellar reputation through stompbox innovation. With the Zoia, they've shattered the mould, creating a modular product with a matrix […]