Since its birth a mere six years ago, the rise of the music gear focussed marketplace, Reverb, has been nothing short of meteoric. Most readers would have interacted with the site in some way, whether to buy, sell, or simply lust after a favourite bit of gear.
The rapid expansion of the business has been recognised by Etsy – another marketplace with a slant towards handcrafted and vintage goods. Reverb, however, has vowed not to change in spite of the takeover.
If you’re connected to the music or audio community in any way, Reverb is a name you’ve surely come across. The music marketplace has just been acquired by Etsy.
A few short years ago, David Kalt, the founder and CEO of Reverb was the proprietor of a guitar store. Finding it increasingly difficult to buy and sell instruments online, he came up with a simple marketplace where musicians could interact, buy and sell gear with a minimum of fuss.
Fast forward to 2019 and that company has been bought for hundreds of millions of dollars. Never fear though, it will continue to grow with the expanded resources of its new parent company, Etsy.
The fit seems to be a healthy one. Etsy, a company which prioritises the trade of vintage goods is well placed to understand the ethos of what has grown to become the eBay for musicians.
For more information, head over to Reverb and read the statement from outgoing CEO, David Kalt.
- Watch Ruben Neeson Perform Moonlit Spell Live at Enmore Singer songwriter Ruben Neeson was recently welcomed to the Live at Enmore studio. Keeping it stripped back, he delivered a chilling performance of his latest single, Moonlit […]
- Foo Fighters’ Chris Shiflett Is Auctioning Off His Personal Guitar Collection Longtime lead guitarist of Foo Fighters, Chris Shiflett, has announced that he'll be auctioning off twenty of his own guitars through Reverb.
"I have an excess of guitars that I’ve […]
- Here Are The Best Selling Synthesisers And Drum Machines Of 2017 What was the best selling synthesiser or drum machine of 2017? If you're interested in what the rest of the world are buying, this one's for you.
The good people of Reverb.com have put […]
- Strat Stats: Here’s Exactly What Makes A Vintage Stratocaster Valuable, By The Numbers What makes a vintage Stratocaster valuable? Gear marketplace, online publisher and straight-up guitar connoisseurs Reverb have dug deep on their sales data to find out.
The Fender […]
- The Oracular Musical ‘Glue’ and Ways to Get It Attaining the musical 'glue' in a mix is one of the more nebulous pursuits in production. So what are we actually searching for in the quest? Essentially, it’s the aural sensation of all […]
- New Book ‘Pedal Crush’ to Cover Creative Applications for Stompboxes Kim Bjorn, author of the successful synthesiser book Patch and Tweak has announced his latest project, which explores pedal effects as a creative tool for all artists. The hardcover book […]