When the Yamaha DX7 first came on the scene, the analog domination of synthesis was smashed. In the negative column, however, was its difficulty to program. Helping the world to understand the new language of FM synthesis was Howard Massey’s The Complete DX7 textbook. A free PDF version of the book has surfaced on Reddit.
The Yamaha DX7 rewrote the rules for the synth, bringing FM to the world. The Complete DX7 by Howard Massey might just give you a deeper understanding of FM synthesis.
It’s hard to overstate the impact that this synth had when it first arrived in 1983. Digital technology was sweeping through the audio industry, so the DX7 had ready and willing customer base.
Previous digital synths, like the Australian Fairlight CMI were far beyond the reach of regular consumers, in both operation and cost. The new kid on the block came packaged in a portable format and priced within reach of most consumers.
Due to their programming difficulties and flimsy original documentation, Howard Massey literally wrote the book on the synth. Find the pdf version here.
- No More Jacks: Heritage Audio Announces BT-500 Bluetooth Streaming Module Integrating bluetooth devices into a recording or mixing workflow has long since been on the mind of studio professionals. Enter Heritage Audio, who have created the BT-500 module, which […]
- The Fairlight CMI: An Orchestra in a Box that Rewrote Electronic Music In the late 1970s, right here in Sydney, there was an auditory revolution that was being developed by two men, Peter Vogel and Kim Ryrie, that would eventually help to encompass the sound […]
- EHX Celebrates 50 Years With The V1 Triangle Big Muff Pi Reissue At my Dad's 50th, he jumped on the living room table and started singing Tom Jones' It's Not Unusual. Electro Harmonix has done something a little more practical for their half-century […]
- Ableton Live 10 is Finally Here! Check Out The 3 New Editions and Learn How To Use It After years of waiting and beta testing, Ableton 10 is finally avaliable for all to purchase. They've also just released almost 50 video tutorials running through the new software, so you […]
- Exposing The Truth of Sound: The Basics of Acoustics The environment in which you make sound can assist in solidifying and focusing tone, or it horribly compromise the listening experience. Every time we listen, sound is interacting with the […]
- 4 Vintage Underdog Synths You Probably Don’t Know About But Definitely Should While we can all agree that squelchy filtered Moog bass or lush Juno pads are a surefire way to get the people slipping into their dance pants, it’s always a good idea to read up on those […]