When the Yamaha DX7 first came on the scene, the analog domination of synthesis was smashed. In the negative column, however, was its difficulty to program. Helping the world to understand the new language of FM synthesis was Howard Massey’s The Complete DX7 textbook. A free PDF version of the book has surfaced on Reddit.
The Yamaha DX7 rewrote the rules for the synth, bringing FM to the world. The Complete DX7 by Howard Massey might just give you a deeper understanding of FM synthesis.
It’s hard to overstate the impact that this synth had when it first arrived in 1983. Digital technology was sweeping through the audio industry, so the DX7 had ready and willing customer base.
Previous digital synths, like the Australian Fairlight CMI were far beyond the reach of regular consumers, in both operation and cost. The new kid on the block came packaged in a portable format and priced within reach of most consumers.
Due to their programming difficulties and flimsy original documentation, Howard Massey literally wrote the book on the synth. Find the pdf version here.
- Meet Xerxes – Black Corporation’s Polyphonic Powerhouse Making its debut at this year's NAMM show, Xerxes by Black Corporation is an 8 voice, polyphonic synthesizer. Inspired by the Elka Synthex from the early 1980s, its design and vast sonic […]
- The Standing Grand – A Lightweight, Portable Grand Piano From British pianist and inventor, Sarah Nicolls comes The Standing Grand - an exciting new vision for the future of the grand old instrument.
As a contemporary pianist, Sarah often […]
- The NFM Synth Brings the Delights of FM Synthesis to the iPad The NFM synth for iPad is the latest creation from Sydney based developer Nikolozi Meladze.
The NFM synth brings the unique qualities of FM synthesis to your iPad in an intuitive and […]
- One Note at a Time: the Tales of 5 Legendary Monosynths With the evolutionary advancement of synth technology, the options for creating sounds have exponentially increased. In the the analog world the voices have piled up and the internal […]
- Korg’s Minilogue and Monologue Get Free Major Updates Korg has released some major updates to the Minilogue and Monologue keyboards, with firmware that's making them a little closer to each other in terms of features.
Version 2.0 firmware […]
- EssenceFM is Kodamo’s Hardware Synth of the Future FM synthesis has made quite the comeback of late. After the insane popularity of the Yamaha DX7 wained, this distinct digital architecture dipped as well, giving way to the renaissance of […]