A vintage Radiohead cassette demo from the band’s school days, recorded between 1987-88, has sold for a cool £6,000 at auction.
Featuring unheard tracks and a handwritten note from the band’s frontman Thom Yorke, this cassette demo from Radiohead’s early days, then known as On a Friday, has sold for a bold £6,000, roughly $10,654 AUD, at Omega Auctions in the UK.
Entitled ‘Gripe’, the cassette bares 3 unheard tracks from the band’s early recording days in Abingdon School, Oxfordshire, between 87-88, with the inside liner notes reading “before the ones overleaf are the following (most recent recordings 1989) Promise Me (Thom), Body(?) in a box (Colin/Thom), These are the Chains (Thom).”
These previously undocumented tunes, recorded to a classic TDK D60 cassette, are complimented by Happy Song, To Be A Brilliant Light and Sinking Ship as well as an inlay card, hand-drawn by Yorke.
Gripe was recorded at Woodworm Studios in Oxfordshire, a venue fundamental to the band’s formative years and development, recording a number of early demos there before being signed to EMI in 1991 and being urged to change their name.
Crediting the likes of Thom Yorke and Ed O’Brien on vocals and guitar, Phil Selway on drums, Jon Greenwood on keys, viola and harmonica, Colin Greenwood on bass, Raz Petersen on lead alto sax and Liz and Charlotte cotton on alto sax, as stated by Omega Auctions, Gripe is “an incredible piece of Radiohead early recording history!”
Check out the listing here.
- 6 DAWless YouTubers Everyone Should Follow Yes, we all know how great DAWs are. They've ushered in a whole new generation of artists, engineers, mixers and more into the music world - making the production easier by orders of […]
- The Ampeg B-15: The Big Bottom End of the Motown Sound The history of music gear is littered with firsts. Some innovations, like those from the minds of Leo Fender and Les Paul are well documented. As is the race between Bob Moog and Alan R […]
- Overcoming Writer’s Block & The Importance of Planning The most overlooked and underestimated step of recording anything is time management and planning. Just like desk and studio space, keeping your time organised is paramount to any quality […]
- Really Get to Know Your FM Synth with The Complete DX7 Textbook When the Yamaha DX7 first came on the scene, the analog domination of synthesis was smashed. In the negative column, however, was its difficulty to program. Helping the world to understand […]
- Roland Cloud Add Exclusive TR-808 And TR-909 Software Instruments Roland Virtual Sonics have announced official software instruments for the eminent TR-808 and TR-909 Rhythm Composers, to be available exclusively through Roland Cloud.
The software […]
- Get Saturated in the T-RackS Tape Machine Collection from IK Multimedia IK Multimedia has just announced the T-RackS Tape Machine Collection. It dishes up the classic tone that you'd expect - adding that all important glue, warmth and character to your tracks […]