Rob Byers of America’s NPR has recently authored the Producer’s Handbook to Mixing Audio Stories. It’s a step by step guide for mixing sound sources, with a helpful glossary of technical terms.
Getting the basics right: NPR’s guide to mixing audio stories functions as a primer for the beginner engineer. Complete with techniques, troubleshooting methods and a glossary of terms.
The extensive guide covers the following topics:
The guide’s explicit goal is coach people through podcast production. Yet, it’s obvious that these common sense techniques are applicable to mixing music.
For example, Byers advises us to automate phrases and sentences to maintain a natural dynamic, rather than zooming in to every syllable.
He also stresses the differences between clip-based (pre insert) and track-based (post insert) automation, another good reminder for music mixers who are new to the game.
Best of all, there are a bunch of recorded examples of best practice and of course, what not to do!
Head over to NPR to access the handbook.
- Presonus Unveils Upgrade to their DAW – Studio One 4.5 Presonus has launched the latest incarnation of their DAW. Studio One has reached version 4.5 and boasts more than 70 new improvements, working from a robust, customer-curated […]
- Sound For The Pictures: An Introduction To Recording Sound For Films The goal of sonic treatment for movies and television is, in a way, to convince you that it doesn’t exist. Sure, we all have our favourite movie themes firmly implanted in our memories, […]
- Getting choppy with the Soundtoys Tremolator Since emerging on the software scene, Soundtoys have been creating sonically fresh and mind-bending sound processing tools for DAW based recording. The company has steadily built a world […]
- Megaverb from Goodhertz is the Best “Bad” Reverb Money Can Buy The digital revolution that swept through the audio industry in the 70s and 80s totally transformed the sound of reverb. Megaverb, the new plugin from Goodhertz, takes the best (and worst) […]
- The Ableton Evolution Continues with Version 10.1 Ableton version 10.1 has officially hit the shelves. This update (free to all owners of version 10) continues the steady evolutionary improvements to the DAW's workflow and adds some extra […]
- Get Modular with Contour and Dynamix from Make Noise Boutique synth makers Make Noise have just released two new Eurorack modules, Dynamix and Contour.
Synth experts Make Noise have launched Contour and Dynamix, perfect companions […]