Rob Byers of America’s NPR has recently authored the Producer’s Handbook to Mixing Audio Stories. It’s a step by step guide for mixing sound sources, with a helpful glossary of technical terms.
Getting the basics right: NPR’s guide to mixing audio stories functions as a primer for the beginner engineer. Complete with techniques, troubleshooting methods and a glossary of terms.
The extensive guide covers the following topics:
The guide’s explicit goal is coach people through podcast production. Yet, it’s obvious that these common sense techniques are applicable to mixing music.
For example, Byers advises us to automate phrases and sentences to maintain a natural dynamic, rather than zooming in to every syllable.
He also stresses the differences between clip-based (pre insert) and track-based (post insert) automation, another good reminder for music mixers who are new to the game.
Best of all, there are a bunch of recorded examples of best practice and of course, what not to do!
Head over to NPR to access the handbook.
- The New Shape of Rock: The Legend and Legacy of the Gibson Explorer The year was 1957 and Fender was dominating the electric guitar market with their Stratocaster, Telecaster and Precision Bass models. Gibson had released the first Les Paul model five […]
- Fender Offsets: A Lasting Innovation of Shape and Facility It’s a series of guitars that’s shaped rock ‘n’ roll - from ‘60s surf rock to ‘70s punk to ‘90s grunge - not merely musically, but also in aesthetic. The Fender offsets, so called for […]
- Spitfire Audio’s Vast LABS Library of Sounds Is Now Available For Free Spitfire Audio's LABS library of sounds and samples is a goldmine for producers and composers, partly because it's extremely vast, and partly because it's extremely cheap - actually, until […]
- Psychedelic Swirl in Three Colours: Native Instruments Reveals the Mod Pack Effects Series Native Instruments, the company best-known for the clever integration of virtual instruments and hardware have dived into the field of modulation effects with the release of the Mod Pack […]
- Roland Reveal The D-05, Boutique Reissue Of Their Iconic D-50 Synthesiser Yep, Roland have hit another home run. The most recent release within their Boutique series has been revealed, and it's officially a D-50 rework named the D-05.
Honestly, I'm seconds […]
- Mooer Release’s Three New Pedals for Their Micro Preamp Range Need a big amp sound but don't have a lot of room? Mooer's got you covered.
Their new micro preamp range has been designed to faithfully replicate the preamps of popular tube […]