Rob Byers of America’s NPR has recently authored the Producer’s Handbook to Mixing Audio Stories. It’s a step by step guide for mixing sound sources, with a helpful glossary of technical terms.
Getting the basics right: NPR’s guide to mixing audio stories functions as a primer for the beginner engineer. Complete with techniques, troubleshooting methods and a glossary of terms.
The extensive guide covers the following topics:
The guide’s explicit goal is coach people through podcast production. Yet, it’s obvious that these common sense techniques are applicable to mixing music.
For example, Byers advises us to automate phrases and sentences to maintain a natural dynamic, rather than zooming in to every syllable.
He also stresses the differences between clip-based (pre insert) and track-based (post insert) automation, another good reminder for music mixers who are new to the game.
Best of all, there are a bunch of recorded examples of best practice and of course, what not to do!
Head over to NPR to access the handbook.
- Arturia Announces the MicroFreak Compact Synth Arturia have just announced the imminent availability of their latest piece of synth hardware: the MicroFreak. It packs a punch that belies its size, with a unique sound engine and a […]
- Metaphase Sound Machine is a Mind-Warping Sound Installation From the mind of ::vtol:: , aka Dmitry Morozov, comes the Metaphase Sound Machine. The installation was inspired by American physicist Nick Herbert, who researched quantum physics in order […]
- Moog Offers the First Glimpse of Their Flagship Moog One Polysynth For most synth-heads, it's the biggest release of the year, so if you've been waiting for a bit more of a scoop on Moog One Polysynth check this one out. Moog has released an in-depth […]
- Karanyi Unveils the Synths DX Kontakt Instrument Created by award winning producer and media composer Dani Karanyi, Synths DX captures the essence of epic analog, digital and PCM synths of the 80s.
Cinematic, epic and […]
- Solder On With The Brunswick Semi-Modular DIY Synth Kit Need a new DIY project? Here's one that actually sounds like a good idea. The Brunswick is a semi-modular synthesiser with a raw, bare-bones finish, offering a single oscillator, multimode […]
- Phoenix DRS-8: The Bird With The Biggest Wings Studios are generally becoming smaller and more cost effective operations. Many don’t have the space to house large format consoles. Manufacturers of preamps have continued to innovate […]