Rob Byers of America’s NPR has recently authored the Producer’s Handbook to Mixing Audio Stories. It’s a step by step guide for mixing sound sources, with a helpful glossary of technical terms.
Getting the basics right: NPR’s guide to mixing audio stories functions as a primer for the beginner engineer. Complete with techniques, troubleshooting methods and a glossary of terms.
The extensive guide covers the following topics:
The guide’s explicit goal is coach people through podcast production. Yet, it’s obvious that these common sense techniques are applicable to mixing music.
For example, Byers advises us to automate phrases and sentences to maintain a natural dynamic, rather than zooming in to every syllable.
He also stresses the differences between clip-based (pre insert) and track-based (post insert) automation, another good reminder for music mixers who are new to the game.
Best of all, there are a bunch of recorded examples of best practice and of course, what not to do!
Head over to NPR to access the handbook.
- SSL Dives Into the World of Reverb with the FlexVerb Plugin Solid State Logic has an unimpeachable pedigree in channel strip, EQ and compression design. Now they've turned their hand to crafting a reverb plugin with the FlexVerb.
SSL is […]
- Matmos Set to Release a New Album Sampled Entirely from Plastic Experimental duo, Matmos, is set to release an album that is created entirely from plastic sounds. Plastic Anniversary is a comment on the material itself and marks the duo's 25th […]
- Plates, Springs and Digital Spaces: A Look at Artificial Reverb We’ve all heard it, but maybe not all of us has recognised it by its name. The boxy sound of bathroom conversations, the cacophony of sonic information in a crowded school hall, the […]
- Moby to Sell Entire Drum Machine Collection for Charity After last year parting with his entire vinyl and synthesiser collection, legendary producer Moby still thinks he's due for a bit of a cleanout. He claims he's hoarded the largest […]
- Explore the Incredible Soundtrack to the New Apollo 11 Documentary "Apollo 11" is a new documentary which features previously unseen footage of NASA's first successful moon landing in 1969.
It's soundtrack, composed by Matt Morton, features a […]
- 3 Birds with 1 Stone: the Keeley Electronics DCR Pedal Keeley Electronics is no prude when it comes to creating glorious pedal love triangles and the DCR Pedal is no exception. Most known for their recent DDR pedal and outstanding Caverns […]