Pink Floyd singer and guitarist, David Gilmour, will be auctioning off more than 120 guitars. The sale includes his famous black Fender Stratocaster, with all proceeds going to charity.
David Gilmour, singer and guitarist from the hugely influential band Pink Floyd, is set to auction off a massive collection of guitars, including his iconic “Black Strat”.
The auction will take place at Christie’s in New York, on June 20. Here’s what they have to say about Gilmour’s axe of choice:
“Between 1970 and 1986, The Black Strat was Gilmour’s primary performance and recording guitar, and was key to the development of the Pink Floyd sound.
“It was played in the recordings of landmark albums such as the 1973 masterpiece The Dark Side of the Moon, which includes the track Money and is widely regarded as one of the greatest LPs of all time.”
Given its provenance, this particular guitar is expected to fetch between $100,000 and $150,000.
The highlights among the other guitars include a variety of Stratocasters, a ’58 Gretsch White Penguin and a ’55 Gibson Les Paul.
For more information on the auction, visit Christie’s.
- David Gilmour Details his Favourite Guitars in New Podcast David Gilmour, singer, songwriter and guitar demigod of Pink Floyd fame is releasing a series of three podcasts, spilling the beans on his favourite axes. It comes ahead of the June […]
- Touch David Gilmour’s Guitars… In VR! There are only days until 120 of David Gilmour's guitars go under that hammer, including his infamous Black Strat. For now, however, they are on display in New York, and thanks to auction […]
- David Gilmour’s Black Strat Sold for a World Record $3.9 Million Well, we knew it was going to go well. But this well? David Gilmour's Black Strat now wears the crown as the world's most expensive six string. It was sold at auction for $3.975 million […]
- David Gilmour Details His Life In Guitars As David Gilmour prepares to say goodbye to 120 guitars used over his career, he gave an interview with auction house Christie's detailing his life in guitars.
Amongst the snippets of […]
- Foo Fighters’ Chris Shiflett Is Auctioning Off His Personal Guitar Collection Longtime lead guitarist of Foo Fighters, Chris Shiflett, has announced that he'll be auctioning off twenty of his own guitars through Reverb.
"I have an excess of guitars that I’ve […]
- Blues Legend B.B. King’s “Lucille” is Going Up for Auction A select few artists ever make it to the pinnacle of their art. The late B.B. King is surely one of them. His exploits throughout his career - which spanned many decades - have earned […]