The Tubon was the Swedish made forerunner to the quintessential 80s innovation the Keytar. Designed and built by Swedish manufacturer Joh Mustad AB, notable users included Paul McCartney and Ralf Hütter of Kraftwerk.
Take a look at the Tubon, the Swedish made ancestor to the Keytar. Few made it beyond the Scandinavian frontier, except into the hands of the Beatles and Kraftwerk.
The instrument was battery-powered, monophonic and came with a strap so it could be slung like a guitar.
It made its mark in the Swedish folk scene of the 60s and 70s and had four presets sounds to choose from: contrabass, saxophone, electric bass and woodwind.
The original score of “Strawberry Fields Forever” featured the Tubon, but was replaced by a Chamberlin keyboard, which itself was an ancestor to the Mellotron.
For more info, visit the 120 Years of Electronic Music website.
- The Nord Stage 2: A Powerful and Inspiring Songwriting Tool for a Plethora of Genres While there certainly have been some extraordinary keyboards released over the last couple of decades, if you’ve ever glimpsed the distinct red colour of a Nord on stage, you should expect […]
- Korg’s Minilogue and Monologue Get Free Major Updates Korg has released some major updates to the Minilogue and Monologue keyboards, with firmware that's making them a little closer to each other in terms of features.
Version 2.0 firmware […]
- Listen to 100 Keyboards Playing in Unison by Asuna Japanese artist Asuna's 100 Keyboards is an immersive sound installation, featuring an array of cheap keyboards playing in unison. Best of all, he's bringing the show to Australia this […]
- Warmth, Grit and Character: A Brief Look At Recording Keyboards Through Preamps, Reampers and Guitar Amps Tracking keys should be pretty straightforward, right? Well, I guess it is, to the extent that it is a pretty simple process to extract sound from a device that has an audio output. Yet, […]
- Novation Unveil Their New All-Encompassing MIDI Controller, the SL MKIII Novation have unveiled the newest product in their line, the SL MKIII - a fully-featured, all-encompassing MIDI controller.
Novation have unveiled their new all-encompassing MIDI […]
- ‘Alexa, Teach Me Piano,’ New Roland Keyboard Comes with Alexa Skill Voice Control If you didn't have a reason to buy an Amazon Alexa before, you might now... maybe. Roland has announced that they are working on a modified version of Alexa for their new 88 key variant of […]