The Tubon was the Swedish made forerunner to the quintessential 80s innovation the Keytar. Designed and built by Swedish manufacturer Joh Mustad AB, notable users included Paul McCartney and Ralf Hütter of Kraftwerk.
Take a look at the Tubon, the Swedish made ancestor to the Keytar. Few made it beyond the Scandinavian frontier, except into the hands of the Beatles and Kraftwerk.
The instrument was battery-powered, monophonic and came with a strap so it could be slung like a guitar.
It made its mark in the Swedish folk scene of the 60s and 70s and had four presets sounds to choose from: contrabass, saxophone, electric bass and woodwind.
The original score of “Strawberry Fields Forever” featured the Tubon, but was replaced by a Chamberlin keyboard, which itself was an ancestor to the Mellotron.
For more info, visit the 120 Years of Electronic Music website.
- Tape Loops and Studio Abuse: How The Beatles Recorded ‘Tomorrow Never Knows’ Lay down your mind, relax, and float down stream as we take a magical mystery tour through the wildly creative, and innovative engineering behind The Beatles' Tomorrow Never […]
- BOSS Reveal RV-500 Reverb and MD-500 Modulation Stompboxes, Twin Successors to the Popular DD-500 Delay There's nothing better to wake up to on a Monday than two dastardly handsome new effects pedals. Introducing the Boss RV-500 Reverb and MD-500 Modulation.
The two new stompboxes expand […]
- Teach Your Moog Mother-32 New Tricks With These 8 Excellent Patch Sheets If you're any sort of synth owner, you'll know there's roughly a million things wrong with the concept of sharing patches. When you own something modular or semi-modular like the Moog […]
- 9 Artists Who Have Reshaped the Fender Jazzmaster The Fender Jazzmaster was, of course, marketed to be the go-to guitar for the jazz genre. The original had some faults in terms of playability and bridge design, so the initial success of […]
- Meet the Danelectro Billionaire Series of Stompboxes Danelectro have just released the Billionaire pedal series, covering a swathe of tones, with boost, overdrive, tremolo and rotary speaker.
The Billionaire pedal series from […]
- Shergold Launches Provocateur Single-Cutaway Electric Historic UK guitar brand, Shergold, has just revealed the Provocateur single-cutaway electric. It marks the second installment of the modern reinvention of the brand, designed in the UK by […]