midimutant is a piece of equipment co-created by electronic artist Aphex Twin and FoAM, a trans-disciplinary lab which bridges the gaps between music, art, science and society.
Using neural networks and machine learning, the Raspberry Pi based tech evolves your synth patches for you, learning from an input tone and mutating it on the go.
Sick of patching your own DX7? Aphex Twin and FoAM’s new tool the midimutant is set to solve your woes with artificial evolution.
The device is armed only with a microphone input and MIDI output. Using sysex MIDI messages, the generator then chooses an ideal new patch on the fly. This was tested on a Yamaha DX7, but any synth with a documented sysex dump format will be compatible.
FoAM plan to publicise the source code and DIY instructions soon.
Head to FoAM’s website for a few audio and video clips of the beast in action.
- Listen to a Christmas Flavoured Playlist Brought to You by AI It's that special time of year: AI has taken over to bring us a Christmas playlist based on a dataset of about a hundred holiday season tunes. The result? Well, you be the judge.
An AI […]
- The Attic 2 Delivers 18 Quirky Synths to Your DAW Sure, who doesn't love the sound of those big, lush analog classics. Listening to their sound quality, it's easy to understand why they've earned the accolades.
But what of the quirky, […]
- Travis & Fripp Apps Deliver a New Listening Experience Every Time From developer Peter Chilvers comes Travis & Fripp I,II and III apps. The sounds were assembled from the recording collaboration between guitarist Robert Fripp and flautist/saxophonist […]
- The Charm of the Chime: the Colourful Characters and History of the VOX AC30 Introduced to the world in 1959 as a big brother to the AC15, the VOX AC30 is widely lauded for its jangly, chiming high end. Sixty years later, the diamond cloth and gold detailing is as […]
- Tim Exile Unveils Endlesss – a Collaborative Jamming App Tim Exile's Endlesss is an app for iOS that enables real time remote collaboration. It's been in development for three years and slated for release later this year.
Tim Exiles's […]
- Brainworx bx_console E Adds New Realism to Channel Strip Plugins Brainworx have just released bx_console E, their emulation promising to turn your DAW into a 72 channel SSL E series console.
The bx_console E is the Brainworx tribute to the […]