In 1979 a Japanese electronics engineer by the name of Susumu Tamura created an overdrive that was set to compete with the current ringleader, the Boss OD-1. In doing so, he created one of the most successful and imitated effects of all time, the Maxon OD808, which would be rebranded for Ibanez as the TS808 Tube Screamer. The pedal is now in its 40th year, and to celebrate the occasion Maxon is releasing a limited run of 400 40th Anniversary OD808 Overdrives.
In 1979 Susumu Tamura created a mean green overdrive that changed everything. Now Maxon is celebrating its birthday with the 40th Anniversary OD808 Overdrive.
The OD808/Tube Screamer has for decades been cherished for its warm, transparent, tube-like sound. It’s an effect that adds a bit of a boost or sparkle when you need it, and it’s also great for stacking with other drives for thick saturation. It’s a pedal that has been replicated, copied, mutated and modded almost continuously since it’s release, however, for many the simplicity and tone of the original will always be the best.
The 40th Anniversary edition comes with a few modifications from Tamura himself, which offer a “more open, articulate sound with improved dynamic response”. Only 400 units will be produced, each coming with a signed certificate of authenticity. The first 40 will even be hand signed by Tamura, which could make them a nifty little collectable.
The Maxon 40th Anniversary OD808 Overdrive is available online at Godlyke Distributing Inc.
- It’s Back. Bill Finnegan Announces the Return of the Klon Centaur. Among pedal enthusiasts, there is one overdrive that stands above all others. The Klon Centaur. Like its namesake would suggest, it's a mythical beast and since its release in 1994 the […]
- Ibanez Announces Two New Tube Screamer Pedals The Ibanez Tube Screamer has been the last word in overdrive for decades. To celebrate its 40th birthday, two new versions of the pedal are emerging. One, a limited edition ruby red remake […]
- MXR Releases Carbon Copy 10th Anniversary Edition The MXR Carbon Copy is one of the most coveted and best-selling delay pedals of all time. Its awesome analogue sound and easy functionality have made it a classic, and this year it […]
- BOSS Announce Special Ltd Edition 40th Anniversary Reissue of Their 3 Original Compact Pedals BOSS are celebrating 40 years at the top of the game of innovative stompbox technology with a limited edition reissue of its first line of compact pedals: the OD–1 Overdrive, PH–1 Phaser, […]
- Keeley Unleashes the Retro Super Germanium Overdrive Pedal Oklahoma pedal masters, Keeley Electronics, have released the Retro Super Germanium Phat Mod. Ostensibly a distortion box, it covers everything from subtle drive to all-out fuzz, with a […]
- Myths, Prototypes and Oriental Craft: Talking Vintage Japanese Pedals With Tim Green of Mojo Stompboxes For anyone chasing vintage Japanese guitar pedals in Australia, Mojo Stompboxes in a goldmine. Packed with coveted rarities from BOSS and Maxon, lesser-known oddities from brands like […]