In 1979 a Japanese electronics engineer by the name of Susumu Tamura created an overdrive that was set to compete with the current ringleader, the Boss OD-1. In doing so, he created one of the most successful and imitated effects of all time, the Maxon OD808, which would be rebranded for Ibanez as the TS808 Tube Screamer. The pedal is now in its 40th year, and to celebrate the occasion Maxon is releasing a limited run of 400 40th Anniversary OD808 Overdrives.
In 1979 Susumu Tamura created a mean green overdrive that changed everything. Now Maxon is celebrating its birthday with the 40th Anniversary OD808 Overdrive.
The OD808/Tube Screamer has for decades been cherished for its warm, transparent, tube-like sound. It’s an effect that adds a bit of a boost or sparkle when you need it, and it’s also great for stacking with other drives for thick saturation. It’s a pedal that has been replicated, copied, mutated and modded almost continuously since it’s release, however, for many the simplicity and tone of the original will always be the best.
The 40th Anniversary edition comes with a few modifications from Tamura himself, which offer a “more open, articulate sound with improved dynamic response”. Only 400 units will be produced, each coming with a signed certificate of authenticity. The first 40 will even be hand signed by Tamura, which could make them a nifty little collectable.
The Maxon 40th Anniversary OD808 Overdrive is available online at Godlyke Distributing Inc.
- Origin Effects’ RevivalDRIVE Compact Dishes Up Cross-Atlantic Amp Classics Pedal masters Origin Effects have blessed us again with their new single-channel overdrive - the RevivalDRIVE Compact.
The same company that brought us pedals like the Cali76 Compressor […]
- It’s Back. Bill Finnegan Announces the Return of the Klon Centaur. Among pedal enthusiasts, there is one overdrive that stands above all others. The Klon Centaur. Like its namesake would suggest, it's a mythical beast and since its release in 1994 the […]
- 3 Different Uses for Headphones in a Studio Environment Sure, having headphones as your main (or in some cases, only) mixing and monitoring tool is far from desirable. Yet, they are extremely useful in a whole bunch of studio scenarios and it’s […]
- Akai Unveils ‘Force’, A Standalone Integrated Production Controller Akai Pro has unveiled an all-new standalone controller and integrated production tool called 'Force'. The new unit offers a similar experience to the Ableton Push and Native Instruments' […]
- New Book ‘Pedal Crush’ to Cover Creative Applications for Stompboxes Kim Bjorn, author of the successful synthesiser book Patch and Tweak has announced his latest project, which explores pedal effects as a creative tool for all artists. The hardcover book […]
- Klevgrand Modley – a Simple Delay is Just the Beginning Sure, echoes are great, but it's often just one element in the chain to make a compelling ambient environment. Blending other the styles of effect with the delay can create tails help a […]