Green Glue comes up a fair bit in searches for acoustic caulk however we used a more generic product for edge sealing in the room. The photos may not show it well but the Kauri timber floors in the old kitchen are actually very beautiful and it’s unfortunate they’ll have to covered.
We made good all the seals, gaps and floor joints with an acoustic rated generic caulk product
If there was an instruction book it would read “Make good the floor by way of flexible acoustic caulk. Make level with sand cement and essentially air lock the first layer in the control room”. Which of course is a lot easier said than done in many most cases. There were gaps of up to 12mm between the ends of the floorboards and the walls where skirting boards had once sat and the process of ‘making good’ and sealing which we did a lot of ourselves took several days alone.
After the floor sections had been sealed, we removed the ceiling in The Kitchen only to discover it was a false ceiling so there are in fact two sets of joists above us. Not good because we now lose 200mm in height. Pipes and plumbing are sitting between these two sets of joists and the pros for leaving them in far out way the pros for removing them.
The floor was thoroughly scraped and cleaned and we lay down the first layers of green glue and yellow tongue on the following day.
Next up is finding a good electrician!
- Sights Set on 1608 Like most things online, if your Google search term isn't quite close enough you get a bit of porn. Such is life. I did a search for 1608 (without the API) and indeed some nudity presented […]
- Vocal Booth and Control Room are level while deliveries of rockwool keep arriving This is more or less still week one since hired help arrived to complete the first two rooms of the space. The two rooms, known as The Stable and The Kitchen are now the same level as we […]
- Spending $2000 on Green Glue in less than a minute Did you know you can spend $2000 on glue in less than a minute? Well you can. This stuff is called Green Glue and it's the best glue money can buy for acoustic purposes. Well that's what […]
- J. Rockett Audio Designs Releases the Monkey Man Think Hotel California, Hurricane or that signature Keith Richards crunch. J. Rockett Audio Design's new Monkey Man emulates the 'classic tweed sound,' found in Fender amps from the […]
- Voice Over Studio An engaging voiceover can be integral in building a sonic brand. Enmore Audio has a wealth of experience in delivering voiceover recordings with energy and character, suitable for both […]
- Podcasting Essentials: the RØDECaster Pro, Pod Mic and Wireless GO There’s no denying the splash that podcasting has made in the media landscape in recent years. Yes, people have been telling their stories on the radio for a century now, but podcasting […]