Grandmaster Flash has become the first DJ and Rapper to win Sweden’s Polar Prize a.k.a ‘the Music Nobel Prize’. Previous winners of the prestigious award include Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Yo-Yo Ma, B.B King and Stevie Wonder.
Joseph Saddler a.k.a Grandmaster Flash has won Sweden’s Polar Prize, marking the first DJ and rapper to win the esteemed award.
Grandmaster Flash or real name Joseph Saddler had the privilege of accepting the award from the King of Sweden, who said the award is to honour every DJ, rapper, graffiti artist, and break-dancer.
The Polar Prize has been running since 1989 when it was founded by Stig Anderson, former manager of ABBA owner of Polar Records, from which the prize takes its name who was lyricist and manager for ABBA. Also to win the award this year include German violinist Anne-Sophie Mutter and The Playing for Change Foundation. Each recipient receives a prize of one million Swedish Kronor, roughly $154,000 AUD.
In his acceptance speech, Saddler mentioned the early days of the hip hop scene as well as some of his early influences.
“This thing that I did had not existed before, and I am one of many where I come from. It ended up being called hip-hop, taking the drum break from pop, rock, jazz, blues, funk, disco, R+B, and using duplicate copies of records. I would take one section and repeat it over and over again. This self-made music bed served for the break-dancers, and later, for the MCs.”
- Opening The DAW: What Is The Best Software For You? Beginning a new project is always exciting. You’ve got ideas, you know how you’re going to execute them. You may not realise you’ve already made a mistake at this integral point. Depending […]
- Teenage Engineering Unveil the R Robot Speaker The R desktop speaker from Teenage Engineering is powered by Baidu artificial intelligence, with the company saying that it has "unique possibilities to express emotions and react to a […]
- IK Multimedia Unveils Syntronik Deluxe Featuring Five New Instruments IK Multimedia's hot streak of software releases continues with the introduction of Syntronik Deluxe, a new expansion on their suite of virtual synths.
Five of the best: […]
- Sharp Attack and Complex Decay: Understanding The Basics of Snare Drum Miking Snare drums are crucial in reflecting the character of a song. This is because there are so many varieties in terms of size, depth and material of manufacture, with each of these […]
- EMMA Electronic Launches the ND-1 Navigator Delay Pedal EMMA Electronic has brought together the best of digital and analog tech in one pedal. The ND-1 Navigator Delay offers up everything you'd expect from a delay, plus the ability to split […]
- Sonic Mayhem, Harmony and Complexity: Pedal Talk With Pretty City Pretty City have a monstrous sound. Sitting somewhere in the chasms between shoegaze, sludge and 90s alt-rock, their debut record Colourize is a melange of explosive guitars, haloed by […]