The Korg Volca Beats was released about 5 years ago, and ever since it has been well loved all around for its analogue beat making abilities. But there’s just one thing about it, a lot of users reported that the snare on their unit was underwhelming, it sounded flat and splattery, rather than the punchy snap they wanted.
Luckily, the power of hundreds of tinkering synth nerds led to a discovery known as the ‘volca C78 mod’.
If you’ve been wanting to dabble in a bit of DIY modification, a great way to start is the Korg Volca Beats C78 mod.
Now, a lot of synth people might already be across this, however, if you’re not and you’ve been wanting to dabble in a bit of soldering and modding, this is a great first step.
The problem was, that the people over at Korg left out a crucial part of the circuit, a capacitor with a rating of 100nF, marked C78 on the Volca’s snare board. The capacitor needs to be soldered from the either D13 or D14 to the ground point between the two. It’s a very simple mod, but the results can be heard instantly.
All you’ll need is a C78 capacitor, soldering iron and of course a Korg Volca Beats. For some resources take a look at Synthtopia, Gearslutz and Animal Factory Amps.
- The Inspiring Limitations of the Korg Volca Beats There’s a certain sweet spot with gear that represents the ideal convergence of usable options, and ease of playability. Too often in software, the gear is skewed towards presenting the […]
- Reverb’s Best-Selling Synths and Drum Machines of 2018 Reverb has become synonymous with that word that makes your heart skip a beat, raises a sweat on your brow: gear. Evidently, many of us couldn't resist temptation to hit the website and […]
- NuDrum is an Online Polyrhythmic, Polymetric Drum Machine NuDrum, from developer Nicola Bombaci, is an online drum machine, with sounds not unlike many others. What sets it apart however, is that it gives you the ability to create organised chaos […]
- KORG Unveils the Gadget 2 DAW for iOS, Mac and PC KORG has just launched Gadget 2, the latest version of their mobile and desktop DAW. The music production hub features 40 instruments, with Windows users being invited to the party for the […]
- Volca Drum is KORG’s Innovative Digital Drum Machine Alongside the decidedly analog Modular, KORG has welcomed a new digital machine to the fold. The Volca Drum introduces an innovative digital architecture and deep flexibility for a tiny […]
- The Star Shepherd is DIY Synth from the Mind of Legowelt Dutch producer and synth master Legowelt has revealed his DIY creation, the Star Shepherd. Modded, hacked and built from old guitar pedals and a keyboard, it's customised synthcraft at its […]