To call the last couple of years for Gibson a rollercoaster is an understatement. Last year, they stared down the threat of bankruptcy, then kicked off 2019 with a host of new releases, getting back to basics and sparking a renaissance in this most classic of guitar brands.
With the latest episode though, it all got a little weird. Director of Brand Experience, Mark Agnesi starred in a video in which he literally warns rival brands that Gibson will protect its legacy.
Yeah, it didn’t go down well. Gibson has pulled a controversial video in which they appear to threaten rival guitar brands over potential copyright infringements.
In the video, titled Play Authentic, Agnesi pointedly addresses other guitar builders by saying, “You have been warned, we’re looking out and we’re here to protect our iconic legacy.” Guess it’s pretty hard for a rival brand to take it any other way.
After the ambivalent reaction that the video received, it seems like common sense has won out in the end, with the video ending up in the bin. They’ll be hoping that they haven’t undone all the progress they’ve made since coming back from the brink last year.
Stay tuned for the next move.
- Gibson’s partnership with Universal Music China: what it means for the guitar giant Gibson has had a rocky recent past, to say the least. But a new business venture could see that change rapidly thanks to China's music industry.
Guitar manufacturing titan Gibson has […]
- Gibson Encourages Players to Report Fake Guitars Gibson is hot on copyright infringement at the moment, threatening to sue guitar builders making counterfeit versions of their products.
In the latest development, there is now a form […]
- The Plot Thickens: Gibson Takes on Dean Guitars in Lawsuit When Gibson made a threatening video directed at rival guitar brands, only to pull it soon afterwards, you'd be forgiven for thinking that it was just a momentary overload of testosterone […]
- A Guide to Building a Sampler Instrument: The Basics The rapid rise of 'laptop music' has opened up a world of synthesised instruments and construction of these has never been more achievable. Featuring heavily in electronic music, sampler […]
- We’re Giving Away a Pair of Audio-Technica ANC700BT Wireless Headphones! Amongst Audio-Technica's push into wireless innovation this year are the ATH-ANC700BTs, a pair of Bluetooth, noise-cancelling, over ear headphones. We spent a bit of time with our own demo […]
- NPR Releases Step by Step Handbook for Mixing Audio Stories Rob Byers of America's NPR has recently authored the Producer's Handbook to Mixing Audio Stories. It's a step by step guide for mixing sound sources, with a helpful glossary of technical […]