To call the last couple of years for Gibson a rollercoaster is an understatement. Last year, they stared down the threat of bankruptcy, then kicked off 2019 with a host of new releases, getting back to basics and sparking a renaissance in this most classic of guitar brands.
With the latest episode though, it all got a little weird. Director of Brand Experience, Mark Agnesi starred in a video in which he literally warns rival brands that Gibson will protect its legacy.
Yeah, it didn’t go down well. Gibson has pulled a controversial video in which they appear to threaten rival guitar brands over potential copyright infringements.
In the video, titled Play Authentic, Agnesi pointedly addresses other guitar builders by saying, “You have been warned, we’re looking out and we’re here to protect our iconic legacy.” Guess it’s pretty hard for a rival brand to take it any other way.
After the ambivalent reaction that the video received, it seems like common sense has won out in the end, with the video ending up in the bin. They’ll be hoping that they haven’t undone all the progress they’ve made since coming back from the brink last year.
Stay tuned for the next move.
- Gibson Encourages Players to Report Fake Guitars Gibson is hot on copyright infringement at the moment, threatening to sue guitar builders making counterfeit versions of their products.
In the latest development, there is now a form […]
- The Plot Thickens: Gibson Takes on Dean Guitars in Lawsuit When Gibson made a threatening video directed at rival guitar brands, only to pull it soon afterwards, you'd be forgiven for thinking that it was just a momentary overload of testosterone […]
- Gibson Reveals New Back-to-Basics Lineup For 2019
After teasing fans online for some time, Gibson has finally revealed their new lineup for 2019. The new stable features 25 guitars, which overall focus on the companies rich history with […]
- Russell Crowe is Set to Say Goodbye to a Swag of Rare Guitars Movie star and guitar aficionado, Russell Crowe, is about to put a range of rare vintage guitars under the hammer. If you're in Sydney and have decidedly deep pockets, you could get […]
- Former Levi’s President James Curleigh to be New Gibson CEO Gibson has fallen on tough times as of late, particularly following the recent departure of their embattled former CEO, Henry Juszkiewicz. However, in a press release yesterday, the […]
- Epiphone Les Paul vs Gibson Les Paul: What’s The Difference? Nothing screams rock quite like a Les Paul. In fact, you could say it wails. From Jimmy Page to Slash, the guitar has been instrumental in shaping the sounds of rock and popular music […]