Well, we knew it was going to go well. But this well? David Gilmour’s Black Strat now wears the crown as the world’s most expensive six string. It was sold at auction for $3.975 million USD, which is roughly $5.6 million Australian.
And while the ’69 Strat soaked up most of the attention, more than a few in the Gilmour stables fetched certifiably insane prices.
We can all breathe now. The auction of the century is over, with David Gilmour’s Black Strat fetching literally millions of dollars. And that wasn’t the only one…
Among the many other highlights was a ’66 Strat that was estimated to go in the region of 10-15k. It fetched $423,000. Another underestimated piece was the Martin D-35 that Gilmour used on Wish You Were Here and Shine On You Crazy Diamond – the estimate was $10-20 thousand but it ended up cracking the million mark.
A 1954 Strat, with a serial number #0001 and used by Gilmour on Another Brick in the Wall parts 2 and 3 raked in over $1.8 million. These a but a few of the remarkable tales from the sell-off.
Best of all, the astonishing $21,490,750 USD that changed hands will be donated to Client Earth – a charity organisation that uses the “power of the law to protect the planet and the people who live on it.”
And if you missed out on the auction itself, check out the virtual tour!
Visit Christie’s for all the details.
- Touch David Gilmour’s Guitars… In VR! There are only days until 120 of David Gilmour's guitars go under that hammer, including his infamous Black Strat. For now, however, they are on display in New York, and thanks to auction […]
- More Than 120 of David Gilmour’s Guitars are Going Up for Auction Pink Floyd singer and guitarist, David Gilmour, will be auctioning off more than 120 guitars. The sale includes his famous black Fender Stratocaster, with all proceeds going to […]
- David Gilmour Details his Favourite Guitars in New Podcast David Gilmour, singer, songwriter and guitar demigod of Pink Floyd fame is releasing a series of three podcasts, spilling the beans on his favourite axes. It comes ahead of the June […]
- Strat Stats: Here’s Exactly What Makes A Vintage Stratocaster Valuable, By The Numbers What makes a vintage Stratocaster valuable? Gear marketplace, online publisher and straight-up guitar connoisseurs Reverb have dug deep on their sales data to find out.
The Fender […]
- David Gilmour Details His Life In Guitars As David Gilmour prepares to say goodbye to 120 guitars used over his career, he gave an interview with auction house Christie's detailing his life in guitars.
Amongst the snippets of […]
- Foo Fighters’ Chris Shiflett Is Auctioning Off His Personal Guitar Collection Longtime lead guitarist of Foo Fighters, Chris Shiflett, has announced that he'll be auctioning off twenty of his own guitars through Reverb.
"I have an excess of guitars that I’ve […]