midimutant is a piece of equipment co-created by electronic artist Aphex Twin and FoAM, a trans-disciplinary lab which bridges the gaps between music, art, science and society.
Using neural networks and machine learning, the Raspberry Pi based tech evolves your synth patches for you, learning from an input tone and mutating it on the go.
Sick of patching your own DX7? Aphex Twin and FoAM’s new tool the midimutant is set to solve your woes with artificial evolution.
The device is armed only with a microphone input and MIDI output. Using sysex MIDI messages, the generator then chooses an ideal new patch on the fly. This was tested on a Yamaha DX7, but any synth with a documented sysex dump format will be compatible.
FoAM plan to publicise the source code and DIY instructions soon.
Head to FoAM’s website for a few audio and video clips of the beast in action.
- Check Out The New Piece of Magical Hardware from Critter & Guitari That Turns Audio into Visuals The dilemma of creating fascinating eye candy to synchronise with live music is one step closer to being solved with a killer piece of hardware from boutique favourites, Critter and […]
- The Rarest Synth In The World? Digitana Electronics Unearth The One-Off EMS Synthi KB1 In 1971, a single prototype synthesiser was created for iconic prog rock group Yes. Peter Zinovieff’s Electronic Music Studios (EMS) were the creators of the EMS Synthi KB1, and the only […]
- BOSS Reveal RV-500 Reverb and MD-500 Modulation Stompboxes, Twin Successors to the Popular DD-500 Delay There's nothing better to wake up to on a Monday than two dastardly handsome new effects pedals. Introducing the Boss RV-500 Reverb and MD-500 Modulation.
The two new stompboxes expand […]
- Try Before You Buy: A New Website Lets You Test Synths Out Remotely Play-a-Synth is a new crowdsourced website which lets you test synths out before you buy them. Doesn't even matter if they're in another country, you can still give them a […]
- This Tiny DIY Single-PCB Synthesiser Is Adorable If you're thinking of getting into DIY synths, the mini-TS could be your ticket in.
Built by Janostman, the mini-TS pushes the limits of completely stripped back sound synthesis. The […]
- Behringer’s Budget Minimoog Model D Clone Now Has a Fully Working Prototype Last month, Behringer’s company founder, Uli Behringer announced the company will be cloning the iconic 1970’s Minimoog Model D.
Making the announcement via online gear forum, Gearslutz […]