Okay so I haven’t taken any photos this week or late last week yet but I can confidently state that the recording studio is moving along very nicely. I did some research today and discovered that Enmore doesn’t have any ‘official’ registered recording facilities which I guess is good news for us (kind of). Enmore Audio will be the first recording facility in Enmore. The electrician was in today working alongside Darren roughing in all the wires, cables, new mains, new switch board, new earth and all that. Audio cable guy (different to electric cable guy) is coming in tomorrow. I worked out today that I am spending an average of $1170 a day while the tradesmen are here. So we might just start taking bookings from now. How does $1170 a day sound with engineer? Nice me thinks.
Soon I’m going to start to talk about and in so doing cement our recording philosophy. I’ll talk about gear, reasons behind decisions and the like. Mostly, decisions are budget based but when there’s hours of research and experience involved, it’s worth sharing that process.
I’ll be honest it was pretty bloody boring there for a week or so. An additional layer of floor went down which you can’t see, all the walls are up and they all look the same so photos would have proven nothing and a heap of measuring and quoting and sample picking went on. But today Dr. Who paid us a visit and punched a few mother fucking holes in our heritage listed house ensuring future sale is impossible. I’m starting to wonder if we really did need air in the studio… Surely we could have opened the door every few hours?
Walls, walls and more walls. Not much point updating these on a daily basis. There have been some very interesting unseen developments in the way of electrical conduits, lintels and wall penetrations.
We’re only just getting over the long weekend… And the first wall went up today! As you can see the ceiling has already received its first layer of Gyprock. The next ceiling layer will sit on top of the wall frame.
The two rooms are now the same level as we brought up the control room (The Kitchen), with a layer green glue and yellow tongue. Sections of chased walls where previous services lay were filled in with sand cement. So too were the two air vents in the vocal booth (The Stable). Deliveries of stuff keep arriving (massive rolls of insulation today), and we’re almost certain that by the time we’re finished there will about two square meters of space left. Is this beast starting to look like a recording studio?
Make good the floor by way of flexible acoustic caulk. Make level with sand cement and essentially air lock the first layer in the control room. We removed the ceiling in The Kitchen only to discover it was a false ceiling so there are in fact two sets of joists above us. Not good because we now lose 200mm in height. I vacuumed and mopped so that we could lay down the first layer of green glue and yellow tongue on the following day.
All this crap aside there are a heap of recording studios in Sydney that we might (or might not) be competing against at some point. What a concept!
Here’s a draft of what The Stable’s wall plate will look like. We’ve spent a stupid amount of time researching the materials for these plates. From Russian space machines to local folks Gravograph, we left no rock unturned. Then there’s the issue of the fonts and the router required to engrave them. What we settled on is a bomb proof compound used in nuclear power stations (mainly in the Eastern Block), and a diamond head router is required to engrave it. There’s only one in the Southern Hemisphere. The plant at Nizhnyaya Tura took a bit of convincing to release a sheet of their triple plated nuclear ply (tlu-25), but we managed to get it. At about $1900 a plate (we need four), we think it’s worth the investment. All connectors will be titanium plated Neutrik at about $45 connector that’s about $1100 per plate. A custom ebony box with a 3mm lip will be fashioned to house the plate.
Worth noting that logo development and design is by DPM Creative Group.